Step 2 (Azure): Setup Windows Azure MS SQL Server
How to setup an MS SQL Server Database in Azure?
Go to your Azure portal
1> Login to Azure Portal.
2> We will first create an Azure SQL Database logical server.
3> Click on New, type SQL Database and then click SQL Database (new logical server)
4> On the new window, click SQL Database (new logical server).
5> In the new slider windwo that opens, click Create.
6> A new slider opens to type the credentials we want:
- Server name: Type a server name (ie I used: gandalfxero) NOTE: In order to access the server the default address is .database.windows.net, in our case that will be: “gandalfxero.database.windows.net”
- Server admin login: type a username you want (ie I used: testusr)
- Password: Type a secure password.
- Choose your Subscription: Leave the default or you may have more choices only if you have multiple subscriptions.
- Resource group: Create a new (ie I used the name gandalfxero) or use one you have already.
- Location: Leave the default or choose the region where you want your server to deploy.
7> Click Create. In the notification area (on the top right side), you can see that deployment has started and finished.
8> Now it is time to create a new Azure SQL database. Let’s do it a bit differently.
9> Click on New, next to the plus sign on your top left. At the new slider click Data + Storage. On the next slider click on SQL Database (new database)
10> In the new window:
- Type a Database Name: I used the name Myxerodb
- Choose your subscription: Leave the default. It will have more choices only if have multiple subscriptions.
- Choose resource group: Leave the default or use an existing.
- Select source: Choose “Sample” (you may also get a blank database or a database backup).
- Select Sample: Leave the default
- Server: Click and select the server we created before (ie gandalfxero).
- Server admin login: type a username you want (I used: testusr)
- Password: Type a secure passowrd.
- Pricing tier: Check if it matches with what you use. We will use the default value S0 for our example.
- Collation: Ignore it for our example
- Click on Create
11> Then wait some minutes for the setup. When ready you will see this on the top right side.
12> Click SQL databases on the right sidebar. This will give you a list of your SQL databases. There you will see our new DB named “Myxerod”.