Step 2 (Azure): Setup Windows Azure MS SQL Server
How to setup an MS SQL Server Database in Azure?
Go to your Azure portal
If you have an account in AWS, you can log in here (You may setup a new one too here).
1> Login to Azure Portal.
2> We will first create an Azure SQL Database logical server.
3> Click on New, type SQL Database and then click SQL Database (new logical server)
4> On the new window, click SQL Database (new logical server).
5> In the new slider windwo that opens, click Create.
6> A new slider opens to type the credentials we want:
- Server name: Type a server name (ie I used: gandalfxero) NOTE: In order to access the server the default address is .database.windows.net, in our case that will be: “gandalfxero.database.windows.net”
- Server admin login: type a username you want (ie I used: testusr)
- Password: Type a secure password.
- Choose your Subscription: Leave the default or you may have more choices only if you have multiple subscriptions.
- Resource group: Create a new (ie I used the name gandalfxero) or use one you have already.
- Location: Leave the default or choose the region where you want your server to deploy.
7> Click Create. In the notification area (on the top right side), you can see that deployment has started and finished.
8> Now it is time to create a new Azure SQL database. Let’s do it a bit differently.
9> Click on New, next to the plus sign on your top left. At the new slider click Data + Storage. On the next slider click on SQL Database (new database)
10> In the new window:
- Type a Database Name: I used the name Myxerodb
- Choose your subscription: Leave the default. It will have more choices only if have multiple subscriptions.
- Choose resource group: Leave the default or use an existing.
- Select source: Choose “Sample” (you may also get a blank database or a database backup).
- Select Sample: Leave the default
- Server: Click and select the server we created before (ie gandalfxero).
- Server admin login: type a username you want (I used: testusr)
- Password: Type a secure passowrd.
- Pricing tier: Check if it matches with what you use. We will use the default value S0 for our example.
- Collation: Ignore it for our example
- Click on Create
11> Then wait some minutes for the setup. When ready you will see this on the top right side.
12> Click SQL databases on the right sidebar. This will give you a list of your SQL databases. There you will see our new DB named “Myxerod”.